vi problems

Richard A. Smith ras2 at engr.uark.edu
Wed Jan 9 18:14:06 AEST 1991

I am experiencing a weird problem in the vi editor.  When I enter a text
entry mode (such as insert or append) I cannot escape out.  Pressing the
ESC key soundsthe bell and moves the cursor like it switched modes but
pressing a cursor key or a command letter only echos to the screen as if
it were still in a text entrymode.  I am running SunOS 4.1.  and the
problem started after I disallowed the root login but reallowing a root
did not completely fix the problem.  (At first it seemed to fix it but
gradually the occurance is more and more frequent)

Any Ideas??  I really have to fix this because if someone runs vi then
that terminal becomes locked in an input mode and I have to rlogin and
kill the process to undo it.

I also have a LAN question, We arem looking to expand our network to some
386 PC's and I would like some recomendations on some good EtherNet Cards
for a 386.  I know very little about the differences and terminology so a
litttle explaniation would be helpfull too.

Thanks in advance.

Richard A. Smith                      | Dont look at me, I'm still an
ras2 at engr.uark.edu                    |    undergrad!!
University of Arkansas @ Fayetteville | Disclamer: I'm a college student.