WrenIV jumper settings

Jim Crook crook at runx.oz.au
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

> From: leclair at herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Jeanne Leclair)
> I need to install a WrenIV 327 meg disk on a SPARCstation (1+) and it
> needs to be seen by the system as sd4, sd5 or sd6.  The problem is that it
> was sd3 on another system and I don't have any documentation on the jumper
> setting to change that.

I had exactly this same query when I wanted to run four external WrenIV
disks on my SPARCstaion 1.  I can't understand why this information wasn't
supplied with the hardware.  Anyway, I got Sun here in Sydney to fax me
required information.

What I have is `page numbers' "DISK-18" and "DISK-19" of the "Field
Engineers Handbook", "Technical Volume I".  At the top of both pages it
says, "CONFIGURATIONS" and "5/90".

I shall try and reproduce the essential info here.

End view of drive
|                                "J4"   "J3"  +---------+    |
|                                 ::::: : :   |DC POWER |    |
|                                 P 421       +---------+    |
|      |<------ SCSI Connector --------->| ::"J5"            |

What you want is "J4" (jumper 4).  "J4" has its pins labeled "P", (not
used), "4", "2", and "1", reading left to right.

"4", "2", and "1" do what you expect they would, and it all flies - or, at
least it did for me.  I did, however, have to generate a new kernel to
support 5 SCSI disks, instead of 4.

I highly recommend getting a hard copy of this from Sun [what if I made a
typo :-)].  More importantly, I strongly urge Sun to supply this kind of
information without having to be asked for it.

Jim Crook             ACSnet,Ean,CSnet: crook at runxtsa.runx.oz.au
RUNX Unix Timeshare   Arpa:  crook%runxtsa.runx.oz.au at UUNET.UU.NET
Wahroonga  NSW  2076  Janet: crook%runxtsa.runx.oz.au at UK.AC.UKC
Australia             UUCP:{uunet,mcvax}!munnari!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!crook