QMS Printer install ...

Mike McCormick unr!spring!mike at uunet.uu.net
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

I am trying to connect a QMS PS 820 Turbo printer to a Sun IPC.  This is a
dual tray printer.  I'm trying to get the printer to switch trays on the
fly.  QMS says that I need to send the following commands to specify which
paper tray to use, followed by the postscript job, and then followed by a
control D (^D).  Here's a sample file I'm sending to the printer:

serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
1 setpapertray
end
..... postscript job
^D

This works fine when there is only one job in the print queue.  It will
print using the paper tray specified in the job and then change back to
the original tray.  If there is more than one job in the queue, the print
jobs following the first one are lost.  The control D at the end of the
first print job tells the printer to pause and reset itself to the
original tray.  It appears that the printer does not tell the host that it
is busy, so the host keeps sending print jobs that are lost while the
printer is pausing.  Also the control D is required to get it to reset
back to the default tray (i.e. end the job).

Has anyone installed one of these on a multi user system where the printer
needs to be able to change from the default tray to print a job and then
change back to the original tray for the following jobs?

I've tried the cable configs in the QMS manual plus one that QMS
suggested.  Nothing works since the QMS won't indicate that it is busy.

Please mail me any responses.

Thank you.

Mike McCormick                       mike at spring.wrc.unr.edu
Desert Research Institute