Open Systems and Net Software availability

Frank P. Bresz ittc!fpb at uunet.uu.net
Fri May 24 04:47:00 AEST 1991

Well I have been pondering this for a while and I think it is time to
cause a rucuss and see what others think about this.

1. Sun is supposedly very OPEN.

2. Most people buying Suns nowadays are USER types,  this is in fact a
   shift of Sun, I believe they want to port all kinds of DOS products (or
   rather have them ported) to Suns then sell people faster boxes that they
   (the users) still no nothing about.

3. Many old time unix people (like me) are familiar with software
   available from the Net and can compile up what we think is cool.

4. Novice users haven't a clue how to do this, some can't even run a C
   compiler.

Thoughts from this rambling.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sun provided some already compiled up versions of
some of the more popular things like X, GNU-Emacs, other things from the
Net that might be deemed useful.

As a note, I came up with this idea because my new DECStation 5000/200
came with stuff that was 'unsupported'.  It was basically X, GNU-Emacs
plus some other things.

Sun could really do their user community a service with this.