Automount trouble?

phil at arco.com phil at arco.com
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

In article <2640 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, gt1111a at prism.gatech.edu (Vincent Fox)
writes:
> Does automount work for any of you under SunOS 4.1.1?
>
> I make 2 new NIS maps:
> 1)auto.master, containing:
> auto.cae
> 2)auto.cae, containing
> /storage	-ro,intr	cadnext2:/storage
>
> When I crank up automount with either "/usr/etc/automount" or
> "/usr/etc/automount /- auto.master", it disappears as soon as I call it.

I fought this one for a day (ULTRIX 4.x, SUNOS 4.1.X).
I created an auto.master as follows:
#
/- /etc/auto.direct

and then a file auto.direct as follows:
#
/share\
	/	 -rw,soft server:/share \
	/bin -rw,soft server:/share/bin \
	/src -rw,soft server:/share/src
/usr/man -rw,soft server:/usr/man
/usr/demo -rw,soft server:/usr/demo
/usr/openwin/demo -rw,soft server:/usr/openwin/demo

Be sure to invoke automount from rc.local like:
automount -f /etc/auto.master
Otherwise, the automounter will look for a NIS map.

This example shows how to do a directory hierarchy.

The only problems I have, are that the automounter cannot be refreshed.
The machine needs to be rebooted when a change is made to auto.direct.  A
kill -HUP PID does not work.  And if a manual page is added to
/usr/man/mann (we made this one world writable), all machines that
automount /usr/man get stale NFS mounts when dismounting /usr/man.