TCP/IP to DecNet connection

Rony Philippe philippe at lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

Situation:

Need to connect a SS2 (SunOS 4.1.1) to VAX cluster (VMS 5.3-5.4) running
DecNet (aka LAT).  This is to allow primarily the transfer of numeric data
files averaging in the Mbytes in size, and access to the VAX cluster's
resources (printers, tapes, etc).  The possibility of remote logins would
be a plus and anything beyond that is icing on the cake. I have little to
no experience with sysadmin and networking notions.

Question:

I plan on buying SunLink DNI Rev 6.0. Is this the product I need ( the Sun
rep says so, but...just checking) and what pitfalls should I look out for?
Are there any other solutions?

Any comments or advice pertaining to the above would be greatly
appreciated.  Please e-mail replies directly to me.

philippe at moe.mcrcim.mcgill.edu