Why -Bdynamic didn't work for building emacs 18.57?

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine53.stanford.edu
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

I am trying to rebuild emacs 18.57 on our SUN SPARC 1+ (SUN OS 4.4.1)
using shared libs whenever they are available.  I used -Bdynamic to
selectively turn on shared libs which I would like to use and -Bstatic to
turn off such if not.

BTW, owing to users' taste, I had to compile in both X Window support and
Sun Window support.

I put this selection in xmakefile that I used earlier (with -Bstatic only)
but then make -f xmakefile always fails.

If some fellow netlanders have success using shared libs, would you please
email me what you have done?  The size of the dumped emacs disk file is
(after strip(1)) 1.4 Megs!  I am really bothered.

Thanks in advance.  If there is enough interest, I will summarize.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University