207 MB Drives in SS1(+)'s

Mark Cappel mark at east.sunworld.com
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

In article <2731 at brchh104.bnr.ca> you write:
>In <2632 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, rhoward at msd.gatech.edu writes:
>>[[Ed's Note: Two disks internally is the max, and I think 207Mbyte is the
>>largest Sun sells for internal expansion - of course, you can always add
>>external SCSI drives (669 Mbyte from Sun) to get lots of space. -bdg]]
>
>One thing I've never grasped .. how Sun can charge $5000 for those, when
>you can get multiple *gigabytes* for that much money from third-party
>vendors.

Please forgive if I missed this point in an earlier portion of the
discussion, but Sun does not support the use of > 104 Mb disks in SS1 and
SS1+'s.  Apparently, the larger disks generate more heat than the early
pizza boxes can handle. Before you do add such a big disk to the internals
of a SS1*, you may want to look at the guts of a SS2 to see how Sun
improved the cooling capacity of the pizza box design.

Mark Cappel			80 Elm St.
Senior Editor			Peterborough, NH 03458
SunWorld (nee SunTech Journal)	voice (603) 924-0100
mark at east.sunworld.com		fax   (603) 924-8779