Lockscreen unlockable???

Jeff Giacobbe giacobbe at pilot.njin.net
Fri May 10 09:05:00 AEST 1991

Here's a nifty little quirk in the OpenWindows v.2.0 Lockscreen function
n(I believe the actual command is 'xlock')

The OW lockscreen provides a nice 'life' graphics display and is great for
locking your workstation when you're away from it, BUT, I have found a
slight bug:

When trying to unlock your screen, the xlock program does NOT recognize
control characters in your password.  For example, if my password was:
hi^Gthere    (h...i...control-G...t...h...e...r...e...) the xlock program

will tell me that my password is invalid!!.  Passwords with control
characters will work fine anywhere else in SunOS (as far as I know) except
the xlock program.

So far I've had about three incidents where a user had innocently locked
his/her screen under OW, and was unable to unlock it because of
control character(s) in their password.

Anyone else run across this problem??

Jeff

p.s. We're running SunOS 4.1