Sun 4/110 ie0: no carrier error messages (H

MARTIN MOORE MOOREJM at alf.appstate.edu
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

I have 3 sun 4/110's and I don't have much disk so I have used nfs to
share some files systems.  I have noticed that when accessing data that is
physically on node B while being logged in on node A that I get messages
to both consoles and in both /usr/adm/messages files like the following.

tail /usr/adm/messages

Apr 29 20:12:22 rodan vmunix: ie0: no carrier
Apr 29 20:14:24 rodan last message repeated 2 times
Apr 30 15:13:30 rodan vmunix: ie0: no carrier
Apr 30 18:50:12 rodan last message repeated 3 times
Apr 30 18:56:58 rodan vmunix: ie0: no carrier
Apr 30 19:12:01 rodan vmunix: ie0: no carrier
Apr 30 19:54:57 rodan last message repeated 13 times
Apr 30 20:00:19 rodan vmunix: ie0: no carrier
Apr 30 21:54:49 rodan last message repeated 2 times

This seems to occur under file transfer and copying files that must
goto/from the nfs connections.  I noticed to that while making parts of
the x11R4 software which is nfs mounted I get these messages too.

It does not seem to bother the processes in a detrimental way but I wonder
how bad that this hurts my performance and other users using the network
at that time.

I am using the thinnet connection and not the aui and the Sun manual says
that it will auto sense if the thinnet connection is being used.  It also
mentions jumper J-18 can be used to force the aui connection but says
nothing about forcing the thinnet connection.  This comes from the
Installation Notes for the Sun 4100 Board set. part number 800-2124-05.

Has anyone else seen this or seen and corrected this???

Martin Moore  (704) 262-6274
moorejm at appstate.bitnet
moorejm at alf.appstate.edu
jmm at godzilla.appstate.edu