ice breaker

Joe Smith jms at tardis.Tymnet.COM
Tue Oct 30 10:12:44 AEST 1990

In article <131073 at pyramid.pyramid.com> jeffw at pyrnova.pyramid.com (Jeff Wallace - S.E.) writes:
>In article <ERICCO.90Oct19105259 at soc1.ssl.berkeley.edu> ericco at ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) writes:
>>Since bill started the flow in this newsgroup, I'd like to know what
>>tahoe is.  I've seen it mentioned in different places, but never an
>>explaination.  Is it the public domain part of BSD Unix?
>
>Gee, let's see, its a..... lake?, truck? operating system?, CCI produced
>mini-computer?.  Take your pick, it all depends on what this newsgroup is
>being used for on any one particular day.

The entry in the official newsgroup listing from Gene Spafford says:

  comp.sys.tahoe  CCI 6/32, Harris HCX/7, & Sperry 7000 computers.

Another source of confusion is that when Berkeley ported 4.3BSD over to run
on the Tahoe hardware, they released a new set of sources and called the
distribution "4.3-Tahoe".  (It also includes various bug fixes to the
utilities.)

So, this group was set up to discuss problems/experiences of running Unix
on the Tahoe hardware, but hardly anybody is posting.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms