Backup recommendations sought

Jim Bachesta bachesta at bcstec.UUCP
Thu Oct 11 05:42:35 AEST 1990

In article <3597 at syma.sussex.ac.uk> jeremym at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jeremy Maris) writes:

>Three questions:
>
>	1) What do people use for multiple dumps to Exabyte ?
>	2) Are there any fancy interfaces to restor to allow
>	   easy restoration of a directory tree ?
>	3) Is there anything with the flexibilty and robustness of
>	   VMS Backup available for Ultrix/Un*x  ( ie journal files,checksums,
>	   redundancy, a gogol of selection options) ?

	At our site we have about 30 gigabytes of disk space. We use
dump and restore exclusively for our backup needs. The way we get
multiple dumps to is as follows:

	o Use the "non rewind" device for our 8mm tape unit.
	o call a script from cron that consecutively performs a
	  backup to the 8mm tape unit. We can backup all 20 of our
	  drives to two tapes this way. It is only a daily bakup,
	  but it works unattended.

Since the tape dosn't rewind after each dump, the next dump continues
where the previous dump ended.
-
To restore just use the "s" feature of restore. This skips file marks
to the desired dump on the tape.

Restore can handle a file tree easily. Use the interactive switch when
you start the restore (i.e restore -i /dev/nrmt2h ). You will be placed
at the the "restore>" prompt. To select a tree simply "add" the node
where the tree begins:

	restore> add node

As far as VMS backup goes, I am not aware of any products out there to
support that type of environment.

					James Bachesta
					Boeing P3 Update IV Project
	 				bachesta at trident.boeing.com