vi file size limit?

Bob Lied lied at cbnewsc.att.com
Tue Oct 9 02:22:00 AEST 1990

In article <194 at camco.Celestial.COM>, bill at camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
> In article <6126 at plains.NoDak.edu> bfoushe at plains.NoDak.edu (Bill Foushee) writes:
> :I'm trying to find out the definitive answer to... Is there a size
> :limit for a file that can be edited using vi?

It depends on the version and how it was compiled.  A peek at our
sources shows a #define for VMUNIX that will take advantage of
virtual memory and let you edit files as large as you can stand
the start-up time.  If your version tops out around 200K, see
if you can get it recompiled.  I know this to be true for SV system
on VAX, 3B1, and Amdahl.  Our vi version is 3.9.