Consistency checking scripts...

Andy Glew aglew at crhc.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 22 13:26:28 AEST 1990

A while back I posted a list of a number of consistency checking
scripts, for use both by system administrators and regular users.

To this list, let me add another, for regular users:

    Ensure that none of the relative pathnames below your working
directories ($HOME, etc.) exceed, say, 95 characters in length -
because tar has a limit at 100 characters, and cpio has a limit at 128
characters (on my SUN, at least).

It's a real pain having to tar subdirectories and/or rename files when
trying to back off all of a user's stuff (in this case, I'm the user)
to tape.

Grumble...

--
Andy Glew, a-glew at uiuc.edu [get ph nameserver from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:net/qi]