Logging a User Off

Michael Temkin mst at mx.csun.edu
Sun Oct 14 05:54:02 AEST 1990

In article <15051 at cbmvax.commodore.com> ag at cbmvax.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>In article <1990Sep11.173008.274 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>For reasons that are beyond the scope of this question, all new logins
>>on one of my systems (3B2.400 SVR3.1) get no initial password.  I've
>>written a little script that I put into /etc/profile.  It examines the
>>password field of /etc/passwd for the user logging in and runs the
>>passwd program if the password field is empty.
>>
>>However, I would like to be able to terminate the login process if that
>>user fails to select a password.  I though I would examine the return
>>code of the passwd command and then exit if it's not 0.  BUT, simply
>>executing "exit" doesn't abort the login; it aborts /etc/profile!  What
>>can I execute to terminate the login of a user who fails to select a
>>valid password?
>
>Remember that a user may hit the interupt key before your script
>starts, thus aborting /etc/profile and your password scheme.  Even
>placing a `trap' at the start of /etc/profile will not help this
>(since on a user could hit the interupt character before the trap was
>executed).
>

>Pax, Keith ``Just catching up on 3 weeks of unread news'' Gabryelski

Actually, I was thinking that if this is ONLY on first login of a new
account, create a script/program that is inserted as the users shell.
The "code" would execute /bin/passwd, then /usr/bin/chsh to change the
shell to something more appropriate.  Afterwards, it would exec to the
new shell.

Besides enforcing the "SET A PASSWORD" situation, it lets users either
select their own choice of shell, or it will let you (if chsh is restricted)
set it when someone uses their account.  In this way, accounts that have
been handed out, but not accessed are easy to find and investigate why
an account was given out and is not being used...

Just some thoughts...

Mike.

--
Mike Temkin
mst at csun.edu
Cal. State U. Northridge, School of Engineering and Computer Science
Voice phone: (818) 885-3919