Can't find boot code for R80

Martin Fowler martin at sporobolus.NREL.ColoState.EDU
Wed Oct 24 12:32:32 AEST 1990

I'm in the process of recovering from a trashed / and /usr on our R80 (rb80)
disk.  We are running 4.3BSD (from Mt. Xinu) on a VAX 11/730 (yes there are
still some around!).  The disk has been reformatted, and I am attempting to
newfs the root partition.

Problem: newfs want's to use /usr/mdec/{rbboot,bootrb} to install in sectors
0-15 of the drive, but these files are not there.  I have checked old dump
tapes, and the source distribution, and still cannot find boot code specific
to the rb80. I suppose the boot program for the RL02 (same controller - idc)
could be hacked to work for the R80, but I would rather not have to deal with
that.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Please e-mail, as I will not be taking the time to read news until this
machine is up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin <martin at poa.nrel.colostate.edu>