Wanted: info on 'root' magazine

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Thu Oct 4 10:50:25 AEST 1990

>>I thank Colin from Massey University in New Zealand for the
>>address for 'root' magazine,
>>	632 East Bidwell St. #56
>>	Folsom CA 95360
>>	USA
>>Fax: (916) 983 2004
>>Tel: (916) 351 0831
>
>One nice thing is that they also bought all the back issues, and are reprinting
>the issues that they've run out of.  They also seem a little more interested in
>getting widespread distribution of root, which should help those poor souls who
>don't have net access.
>
>Subscription price is $32/year, or you can find it at a couple of technical
>bookstores (I think Computer Literacy is the other one).
>
>The July/August issue looks pretty good, but they need to get a net address.
>I'd like to see more articles that had sample script files, with the scripts
>posted to alt.sources or whatever.

Well I just got a sample issue of Root (May/June issue) and I'm not
sure I'd call it a magazine.  It's all of 32 pages and it's a little
rough around the edges.  They seem to have forgotten to run their
spelling checker.  A grammar checker would be nice too.  The
"typesetting" leaves a lot to be desired in most places -- pretty
amateurish.

This issue was devoted to printers and had a few items of potentially
useful information, like descriptions of how to build printcaps, etc.
But most of it was a waste of time with articles like "Printers --
Birth, Life and Death", that had a section titled "Printer Replacement"
that spent half a page explaining that printers eventually wear out.

Sheesh!

At $32 for six issues it's a bit hard to justify.

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com