Looking for shell script for backup on BSD 4.3

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Sun Oct 14 07:08:38 AEST 1990

I have written a sequence of scripts we use here to get the system into an
assured idle state for unattended backup.  These depend on init state 4 being
available for local site use (We are running Prime Computer's port of AT&T
SYSV 3.1.2).  The sequence of events is as follows:

	/etc/bupstart runs out of crontab at 6:00am
		checks for presence of tape in Excebyte drive, and that tape
			appears different from last backup tape written (In case
			you forget to change the tape!)
		broadcasts a warning message
		writes backup paramenters ( complete/incremental, device,
			logfilename, filesystemnames ) to /etc/ustate4.rc
		does a telinit 4
	init looks in inittab to get instructions for changing to state 4.
		entry for /etc/rc0 now has a 4, so system services are shut down.
			(This is the same as doing a telint 0 or 1 or S)
		new script /etc/rc4, similar to rc2, runs scripts in /etc/rc4.d
			remount file systems
			read /etc/ustate4.rc and start /etc/autobackup
				autobackup does the backup (we use /etc/savecpio) and
					moves ustate4.rc to /etc/backup.done
			do an init 2
		respawn a getty on the console so a failure of the init 2 will
			not leave the system irretrievably hung.
	init looks in inittab for instructions on returning to multiuser state.
		new script S99autotapelog in rc2.d looks for /etc/backup.done, and
			if it is there, does spawns off /etc/autotapelog
				This does a cpio -ivtB <$DEVICE >$LOGFILE to verify the
					readability of the tape.
				Removes /etc/backup.done

This should give you enough clues to write your own, or send me email and I
will mail you mine.

Dan
---
Coastal Capital Funding Corp				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244								McLean, VA  22102
uunet!fciva!dag
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Mortgage Capital Corporation
uunet!dag at fmccva.franklin.com		7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130