Program to log off idle users

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 19 09:04:51 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct18.135619.2393 at cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5 at ornl.gov> writes:
> I don't think it's as simple as that, Dan.  If I'm sitting on my
> workstation with active xterms to various systems, what's dangerous
> about one or more of those connections being idle?

Hm? Nothing at all. It's the client's responsibility to handle timeouts.
The client knows if it's sitting under an already idle-protected
session and can behave appropriately.

I imagine a TELNET option like ``WILL IDLE'' telling the server that the
client can handle timeouts. The server will only bother handling idle
if the option isn't negotiated. Your xterm client will negotiate it.

---Dan