VOTE: voting continues on comp.unix.wizards

Laird J. Heal laird at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Oct 21 19:04:27 AEST 1990

>Just so that there is no misunderstanding, on the whole Mr. Haugh's
>vote does NOT follow the guidelines for newsgroup creation.

Just so there is an understanding, I asked Eliot in mail a while ago if I
should draft a  Call For Votes, to which the response was to await this vote.
I have mentioned this twice in news.groups and it has not been contradicted.

Thus, the moderator seems to abide the vote itself while being highly
critical of its promulgation.  I agree on the second point, and will go
along with the first assuming that the vote can have a meaningful result.

"on the whole" above could mean that absent a proper Call we can have a vote
but not exactly know what the results should mean, since there is no proposed
charter.  However, in this case there was a perfectly good charter already
which can fill the gap handily.

The Guidelines _have_ been followed to a tee, but the "T" came at the start
of the voting rather than near the end when it is more customary to bend a
rule or two.  The Guidelines' spirit  was being ignored rather more baldly
when just before this Vote was called for "my version of the Guidelines is
better than your version" and "I called for this discussion and I am not
going to let anyone call for its vote" started being bandied about.

So, as they say here in Chicago, Vote Early, Vote Often!

--
My .signature is on vacation ------------- like me!