Backup recommendations sought

Jeremy Maris jeremym at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 00:30:32 AEST 1990

I would like to be able to backup all our filesystems overnight to an Exabyte
and be able to restore  directory trees, as distinct from a complete
filesystem, without too much bother. We have 6 ~250Mb partitions  and
use CAP to provide an AUFS file server to Macs.

Dump is a bit of a pain for anything other than security backups of file
systems, because of the crude nature of restor, and can only write one
filesystem per tape in its vanilla form. Tar has the 100 char filename limit,
so I'd have to hack GNUtar to allow for the large filenames used by CAP/AUFS.

Three questions:

	1) What do people use for multiple dumps to Exabyte ?
	2) Are there any fancy interfaces to restor to allow
	   easy restoration of a directory tree ?
	3) Is there anything with the flexibilty and robustness of
	   VMS Backup available for Ultrix/Un*x  ( ie journal files,checksums,
	   redundancy, a gogol of selection options) ?

Thanks,
---
Jeremy Maris,Experimental Psychology,University of Sussex,Brighton,England.
Janet: jeremym at uk.ac.sussex.syma  Nsfnet: jeremym at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Bitnet: jeremym%sussex.syma at ukacrl.bitnet   UUCP: ...ukc!syma!jeremym