Software installation opinions needed

shani at TAURUS.BITNET shani at TAURUS.BITNET
Tue Oct 9 23:36:04 AEST 1990

  We have a SUN 4/260 running 4.0.3 . We encouterred the question of
software installation and decided to install all local software under
/usr/local and all local libraries under /usr/local/lib/something or
/usr/local/share/lib/something if the library may be sheared with
other computers (our computer is also a file server to some other machines).

  X11 is ofcourse an exception... But the obvious solution is to put X11
executables in /usr/local/X11 (the libraries are in /usr/local/share/lib/X11).

  After having a bad experiance with a case in which we had to reinstall the
generic system, /usr/local is now on a partition of it's own, and we also
moved manl and mann to it (with symbolic links from /usr/man). This will make
things much easyer if we will have to install the system again (and we probably
will when we will move to 4.1), since our / and /usr are almost completely
generic, except /etc and /var and some other minor and known changes (symbolic
links mainly).

O.S.