help removing a file

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Sat Sep 8 02:24:46 AEST 1990

First of all, for the future, BUY SOME MORE DISK PACKS SO YOU DON'T
HAVE TO REFORMAT YOUR IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE YOU KNOW IT'S BEEN MOVED
CORRECTLY.

To solve your current problem, try telling restore not to restore the
"directory" in which it appears to be in, if your version of restore has
such an option.  If it has any option to tell it to continue even after
failing to restore a particular file, that would be good to use, too.

If not, you can try copying the tape over to another tape while
repairing the slash character to be something else.  Use grep -b
/dev/<tape> to locate the tape block on which this name occurs.  Use the
no-rewind versions of /dev/<tape> and /dev/<tape2> (another tape drive
with a scratch tape of the same size on it) in a combination of dd(1),
cat(1), and some kind of binary editor to make a repaired copy of tape.

The mt(8) command may be of some use here, as well; I don't know.
It's too bad there's no tape editor on Unix.

Good luck.  I don't think this is too easy a project.

Dave Decot