help removing a file

Alan Clegg abc at Matrix.COM
Fri Sep 7 04:38:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep6.163646.17499 at dg-rtp.dg.com> eliot at dg-rtp.dg.com writes:
>In article <1990Sep5.180847.21767 at zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu>,
>harmon at function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Jim Harmon) writes:
>|> Could someone someone help me with removing a file. ...
>|> I even tried doing `rm -i *` and it matches
>|> zhangNevai.tex but says there's No such file or directory.
>
>If 'rm -i *' fails, it is a bad one indeed.

Well, I managed to get a file with a '/' (slash) in it's name to appear under
DG/UX.  No problem, right?  Can't remove the sucker, can't mv the sucker,
can't even remove '-rf' the directory it lives in...  Come around backup time,
backups go just fine.  Dump dumps and all is right with the world.   Come
time to restore (having moved the physical disk to a different machine and
reformatted it)... RESTORE PUKES WHEN TRYING TO RESTORE GIVEN FILE.  ARGH!!!
Some bogus error message about not being able to create a directory, then
every file after that one goes beserk.

USERS ARE ASKING WHEN SYSTEM WILL BE BACK, MANAGEMENT IS ASKING WHEN PROJECTS
WILL BE DONE.  ALL CURRENT BACKUP TAPES CONTAIN FILE WITH SLASH IN NAME!!!
I AM SWEATING BULLETS AND BLOOD (AT THE SAME TIME).

WHAT DO I DO?

Use interactive restore, restore all directories and all files EXCEPT given
'bad' file.  Restores like a charm.  No problems at all.

Anyway, it seems to me that DUMP/RESTORE should look for 'badness' in file
names (or maybe not).

****** What DUMP writes, RESTORE should be able to restore. *******

-abc
--
Alan B. Clegg				uucp:  ...!mcnc!matrx!abc
Matrix Corporation			inet: abc at matrix.com
Raleigh, NC
 "They were all wrong.  The workstation model is obsolete." A. Tanenbaum