help removing a file

Lindsey Durway durway at dg-rtp.dg.com
Fri Sep 7 03:59:20 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep5.180847.21767 at zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu>,
harmon at function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Jim Harmon) writes:
>Could someone someone help me with removing a file. On our system we have a
>file that appears as zhang?evai.tex when doing a `ls` but a tab completion
>says it's zhangNevai.tex. I've tried putting a back slash in front of the ?
>and quoting the whole name. I even tried doing `rm -i *` and it matches
>zhangNevai.tex but says there's No such file or directory.
>
>thanks
>harmon at mps.ohio-state.edu

This works for me:

Use ls to list file names into a file.  Edit the file, removing all
but the offending file name.  Then insert "rm " at the beginning of
the line.  Now you have a script that will remove the file--do chmod
to make it executable, and run it.

--
Lindsey Durway
durway at dg-rtp.dg.com  -or-  ...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!durway