help removing a file

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Wed Sep 12 18:41:01 AEST 1990

In article <1217 at tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms at tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>I interpret [this] as "If you are using disk drive with removable media, you
>should always put the old disk pack on the shelf and format a new pack when
>you have problems".  Ever since we got rid of the RP06, none of our Unix
>systems have removable disks.  Keeping a spare 1.2 gigabyte drive on each
>and every host is not feasible.

I rather doubt that Dave Decot is living *that* far in the past :-)

Seriously, a better interpretation is:  `Have spares.  Use them.'
Keeping one spare drive, to be used as a replacement when one fails,
and to be used to store data that are being moved temporarily, is quite
reasonable.  Modern SCSI disks are cheap enough ($3800 for 1.2 GB) and
reliable enough to buy a baker's dozen, use 12, and keep one as the
replacement for whichever fails first.  Instead of paying for
maintenance, reassign the disk maintenance budget into the new-spares
budget.  When one *does* fail, slap in the spare and buy a new spare.

(Determining the appropriate ratio of spares-to-drives-in-use is what
administrative types are supposedly being paid for :-) )
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris