Software installation opinions needed

Mark Lawrence mark at DRD.Com
Fri Sep 21 01:52:41 AEST 1990

As far as installations go, anticipate the desire to share the sharable
and keep separate what can't.

We have a system set up where executable binaries go to /usr/local/bin
and executable scripts go to /usr/local/script (because it can be used
across platforms).  Stuff that goes into /usr/lib, likewise, *should* be
architecture specific binaries.  We should be given the option of
putting potentially sharable stuff somewhere else.

In the simple case, executables will all go to one place (maybe even
/usr/bin) and library stuff another (/usr/lib) but the heterogenous
platform case shouldn't be forgotton.

Frame is nice, as far as installation goes, and does most, if not all,
the work for you.  But it doesn't let me make choices about where things
should go in order to share template files and so forth.  I don't like
this about it.  We get a whole separate hierarchy for everything (one
for sun3 X, sun3 sunview, sun4 X, sun4 sunview, and additional hierarchies
(per arch) for the Version 2.0 (which only comes for sunview, at
present).
--
mark at DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B