Setting up Home dirs...

Paul Killey paul at caen.engin.umich.edu
Mon Sep 17 22:54:06 AEST 1990

In article <2422 at dali>, osyjm at caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) writes:

|> How are other admin's setting up users home directories on a wide variety of
|> machines?  Does each user have a home dir on each "logically" related
|> set of machines?  Other ways?

We are converting to AFS and hope to solve NFS problems in that fashion.

So far we are running afs servers and clients on dec 3100s and 5000s
running 3.1d Ultrix.  We have about 30 clients and two cells (servers).

It is a small start (we have @400 apollos and a variety of other things)
but so far we like it quite a bit and anticipate moving more into AFS
as time permits.

With a current apollo/other vendor setup, people have an apollo home
dir and what we refer to as a Unix home dir.  We think AFS will let
us scale things to a point where we won't depend so heavily on the apollo
file system.

We have approx 9000 users and lots 'o disk.

--paul