name server

Mark Moraes moraes at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Sep 12 12:01:40 AEST 1990

karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>host(1) is better for 99+% of the usual queries you want to make,
>including automatic in-addr.arpa queries when given a dotted quad, no
>need to do special "query=ptr" things.

I'll second that -- host is a terrific way to ask a nameserver
questions.  Its default output is simple and understandable, even to
ordinary users, and it can be convinced to produce it in the same
format as nameserver input for the wizard.  It can even be made as
verbose as dig(1) if you really want that.

>You can pick it up as tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/nameserver/host.[1c].
>Chuck Hedrick/Rutgers is responsible for it.

A somewhat modified version is available from
cs.toronto.edu:pub/host.tar.Z.  The mods were mostly for portability
(to get it to work on our Ultrix systems, SunOS3.5 Suns and SGIs),
plus a simple enhancement to allow it to accept multiple hosts to
resolve.

	Mark.