help removing a file

BURNS,JIM gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU
Sat Sep 8 15:44:41 AEST 1990

in article <13766 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) says:
> You clearly ought NOT to be able to use ksh-specific features in shell
> scripts that others might execute from sh or csh, without forcing ksh to
> be used via #!/.../ksh in the script.  $SHELL is a BIG mistake, and I
> doubt that even ksh is so broken.  Much more likely is that it, like sh,
> forks itself to process anonymous shell scripts.  Ksh can do this since

Yes, ksh does fork itself, as you can tell from a ps listing (from another
window) of any long running or interactive anonymous script started from
ksh. Refering to $SHELL was a euphemism, and as such a mis-statement.

Whether you and Peter DaSilva want to "fix" ksh so that anonymous scripts
use /bin/sh, and "fix" csh so that a first line of '#' has no special
meaning is a design question I have no opinion on (other than any script
implementer has to be aware of these 'gotchas'). Obviously, if I post a
script for public consumption on my system, it should have an interpreter
line. I was just warning the poster that the assumption that anonymous
scripts were always executed by /bin/sh was false.

I have never had the occasion to test whether ksh is 8-bit clean (the
poster's original point about sh) since either 'find -inum' or 'rm -i'
has always worked for me. The recently posted sol'n of 'rm -ri .' is
interesting. (Scary, but interesting!)
--
BURNS,JIM
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 30178, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
Internet: gt0178a at prism.gatech.edu