Logging a User Off

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Wed Sep 12 03:30:08 AEST 1990

For reasons that are beyond the scope of this question, all new logins
on one of my systems (3B2.400 SVR3.1) get no initial password.  I've
written a little script that I put into /etc/profile.  It examines the
password field of /etc/passwd for the user logging in and runs the
passwd program if the password field is empty.

However, I would like to be able to terminate the login process if that
user fails to select a password.  I though I would examine the return
code of the passwd command and then exit if it's not 0.  BUT, simply
executing "exit" doesn't abort the login; it aborts /etc/profile!  What
can I execute to terminate the login of a user who fails to select a
valid password?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math