Setting up Home dirs...

Bob Goudreau goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
Fri Sep 21 09:21:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep20.141822.26387 at cs.utk.edu>, de5 at de5.ctd.ornl.gov
moore at betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) writes:

> >This version of calendar also does "ypcat passwd" instead of reading
> >the /etc/passwd file, so it scans directories for every user in the
entire
> >passwd map...we have to make sure that only one system in the entire
> >"cluster" runs calendar, else things slow down to a crawl.  We run
it
> >on our mail server, since the mail that calendar generates will end
up
> >there anyway.
>
> Again, I show my ignorance.  What's this "calendar" program?

Presumably he's talking about the calendar(1) reminder service
program.  It's been in System V since at least V.2.0, and in BSD
since at least 4.2.  It probably goes back to v7 or earlier.
Consult your local manual set.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau at dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
USA