Logging a User Off

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Sep 13 00:39:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep11.173008.274 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
|                                   I though I would examine the return
| code of the passwd command and then exit if it's not 0.  BUT, simply
| executing "exit" doesn't abort the login; it aborts /etc/profile!  What
| can I execute to terminate the login of a user who fails to select a
| valid password?

"kill -1 $$" should do it. I believe that you can simplify this by
assigning no password but using the password ageing feature of SysV to
force selection of a new password at login.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.