Ditroff

david d [zoo] zuhn zoo at grumpy.spa.umn.edu
Tue Sep 4 10:09:45 AEST 1990

Mark == markh at squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM

Someone> Isn't groff written in C++?

Mark> It sure is. In fact, it is also dependent upon libg++. I expect that
Mark> compilation by a C++ compiler other than g++ would be substantial work.
Mark> G++ does work with SysV so you might have a chance.  Groff does seem to
Mark> work quite well and as a bonus includes an X11 previewer.  It also has
Mark> an option to produce dvi format (as well as postscript, of course) so
Mark> it should be usable with all sorts of printers.

Sorry.  My libg++ is a minimal subset (gnulib3.o and xyzzy.o), which
is the same as the libg++ used for development of groff (according to
the docs).  Everything worked just fine.

This is from the groff 0.4 INSTALL file:

  Groff has been compiled on a Sun 4 under SunOS 4.0.3 with g++ 1.37.1
  and with AT&T C++ 2.0, and on a 386 PC under 386/ix 2.0.1 with g++
  1.37.1 configured to use gas and GNU ld.  You may encounter problems
  on other machines that I cannot anticipate.

  If you are using g++, you will need to install the header files from
  libg++.  The only other parts of libg++ used by groff are contained in
  the files xyzzy.c and gnulib3.c; the libg++.a that I use contains only
  xyzzy.o and gnulib3.o.

david d [zoo] zuhn		Univ. of Minnesota Dept. of Astronomy
zoo at aps1.spa.umn.edu		Automated Plate Scanner	Project