Dumping to an exabyte tape drive

wolf paul wnp at iiasa.AT
Wed Sep 5 22:34:55 AEST 1990

In article <25394 at shamash.cdc.com> zeke at shamash.cdc.com (Robert Scott) writes:

>	Example for a full dump command to a Sony P6-120 tape using
                                              ^^^^^^

Could someone explain these tape designations? Over here, I cannot
find P6 tapes, only P5. We are using TDK P5-90 tapes, the genuine
Exabyte "EXATAPE" cartridge which was packaged with our SUN-supplied
drive does not have any "P" designation, but is labelled, "112m".

I understand that the capacity (at least on 8mm video machines) of
these tapes is related to the AC power frequency, i.e. 60 Hz in North
America, and 50 Hz in Europe; is this what the P6 and P5 designations
stand for? Does this difference in capacity also apply to Exabyte-type
data storage devices?

What would be a convenient way under UNIX (SunOS) to actually
determine the capacity of any such tape?

--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp