Logging a User Off

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Sat Sep 15 10:20:36 AEST 1990

In article <544 at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM> dag at fciva.UUCP (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
=In article<1990Sep11.173008.274 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>For reasons that are beyond the scope of this question, all new logins
=>on one of my systems (3B2.400 SVR3.1) get no initial password.  I've
=>written a little script that I put into /etc/profile.  It examines the
=>password field of /etc/passwd for the user logging in and runs the
=>passwd program if the password field is empty.
=>...
=>Pete
=
=Most of the responses I've seen have concentrated on bombing out a login.  In
=fact, at some point, AT&T added a mechanism to do exactly what you want.  My
=version of AT&T unix (Prime Sys V 3.1 r2) permits 'aging' of passwds (which
=are actually stored in the /etc/shadow file).

	Unfortunately, AT&T SVR3.1.2 doesn't have shadow passwords,
	and login thinks that ",.." in the password field of /etc/passwd
	is a password!

=I see you are on a SV machine, so you should check the passwd(1M) entry for
=the -s (status), -l (lock), -x (expire days), -n(minimum days), and -f (force
=change at next login) options.

	I am, but your SV is better than my SV!  I do not have passwd(1M).

Thanks, anyway!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math