Software installation opinions needed

Kandler kandler at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Thu Sep 20 18:35:51 AEST 1990

In article <EMERY.90Sep19131715 at aries.linus.mitre.org> emery at linus.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
>     I get VERY UPSET by 3rd party installations that must be done as
>'root'.  An installation script should NOT require that it be run by the
>superuser to do mundane things such as get the stuff off the tape,
>other than root.  Besides, in this era of viruses, etc, who knows what
>an installation script is doing to your system?

Yes, that's the reason why I always read a script before I execute it as root.
And that's the reason why I get EVEN MORE UPSET if an installation
is not a script but a binary. Therefore I decided to leave SunOS
suninstall and friends alone and write my own installation scripts.
(Another reason is, that suninstall is so highly interactive. It's
very boring to install 40+ Suns and to answer the same questions
everytime.) I admit that Sun is not 3rd party but 1st party. But this
makes no difference im my eyes. I want to know _exactly_ what a
installation does to my system. Someone in this thread mentioned DEC's
'setld'. I too think, that's the way to go. (I implemented a kind of
'setld' on our Suns. Sorry :-)
~~
Matthias Kandler                                 Institut f. Informatik
                                                 TU Muenchen
kandler at informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de            Postfach 20 24 20
Telefon: +49 89 2105 2025                        D-8000 Muenchen 2