help removing a file

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Sep 8 03:53:31 AEST 1990

>My preferred solution to this kind of problems (You'll never guess how
>many people take the left arrow key to be the backspace key, and then
>you end up with filenames like .prifi^[[D^[[D^[[Dofile):
>do an 'od -c .", then try to find the offending entry (easy with SysV,
>not so easy with bsd).

Not so easy with S5R4, either, if you're using the BSD file system (or,
for that matter, with any other S5 system that supports the BSD file
system - or, perhaps, other file systems, such as SGI's Extent File
System, which may also use a different directory format).

Fortunately, in S5R4, you can do "stty echoctl" and have the left-arrow
key echo as "^[[D" just as it does in BSD, which should help convince
people that it's *not* the backspace key.