Software installation opinions needed

Jay Plett jay at silence.princeton.nj.us
Fri Sep 21 17:24:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep20.160212.241 at naitc.naitc.com>, karl at naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:
> For commercial software (I publish a package under my own name, not AC
> Nielsen) there is a good reason to run as root.  Namely, you have to do a
> LOT of things as root to get the package installed.
>
> For example, our package requires:
>
> o)	Installation of two user id's in /etc/passwd under some
> 	circumstances (ie: if you select one of the options).
 . . .
> o)	Installation of a group in /etc/group if it's not already there.
>
> o)	Creation of a parameter file in /etc (so the rest of the package
> 	can "find itself" when it runs).

I can't think of three better reasons why an install script shouldn't
run as root.  If you think you have to do these things, you don't
understand how people are using computers.  Each of these things should
be done independently and manually by the installer, who should be
given clear and concise step-by-step instructions together with an
explanation of why they are necessary, how they will be used by your
software, and what alternatives are available if your preferred modus
operandi won't work at the installer's site.

	...jay