Software installation opinions needed

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Sat Sep 22 18:14:49 AEST 1990

In a recent article bob at pta.oz.au (Bob Vernon) writes:

>The best solution I find, is to create various local
>sub-directories (eg package/bin package/lib package/help)
>and set up environment variables to access. I know some
>people hate environment variables but thats OK. Create a wrapper
>script during installation that sets up all the environment and
>adjusts the PATH.  This wrapper script is then the only thing that
>needs to be in the Users default environment.

I tend to find environment variables the best way to relocate
software. It is also much more portable than symbolic links.
All applications that needs environment variables have them set up
in the /etc/profile file that all users get when they log in.
So no users need to ever change their own .profile or .kshrc
files unless they have a specific need for it.

>RECOMMODATION :  Make your install procedure nice and administrator
>friendly.  (This is not the same as user-friendly).  Give me the
>chance to change any install location.  Tell me what you are about to
>do before you do it.  Above all, don't stuff up my system without my
>approval.

That, and use the system spooler (I've came across several packages
that implements their own print spooler that refuses to cooperate
with the system spooler), the system terminal database (if possible).
The worst package I've came across is one that uses its own print
spooler. It also requires some extra entries to be added to each
terminal description in the terminfo database. One has to use the
package-supplied 'tic' (terminfo compiler) to add those entries.
And, having done that, other applications using terminfo bombs...

Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson at erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se at sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se at encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.