Software installation opinions needed

W. Phillip Moore moore at srl.mew.mei.co.jp
Fri Sep 21 10:17:32 AEST 1990

The above discussion (not included here for sanity's sake) has made some
very important points.  Most notably, the installer should have the
maximum degree of flexibilty when installing a new software package.
I agree completely.  I can't stand it when I am forced to alter my system
to fit the software package, and this is something I am often forced to do
by many of the vendor's for the LSI CAD software we use here.

However, I see one minor point overlooked.  The reason many of these
installations are simple and over-automated is because not all sites have
UNIX gurus who have customized their network to the point where it is so
unique that it doesn't remotely resemble anyone else's.  A lot of default
assumptions are necessary because there are actually a lot of
machines/systems in use out there which pretty much were taken out of the
box, turned on and left as is.

To speak up for the poor scientist/engineer who is not a UNIX guru, but
wants to install some new toy in their machine and use it without reading
1000 pages of system manuals (these people do exist and have nothing to be
ashamed of), I suggest that both a highly customizable installation, as
well as a push-here-dummy type of approach should be offered.

Mr. Kandler complains that suninstall is too automatic and hides what is
happening from the installer.  True, this is annoying for some, but makes
the installation possible for many who are not complete UNIX guru's.  I
think that both approaches are *necessary* if a software distributor wants
to keep everyone happy.  If the installer is a non-expert UNIX user (like
the scientist types mentioned above) and they have to answer 100
customization questions about system intricacies they may or may not be
completely familiar with, the installation may take forever, and one
question/parameter not done correctly may mean the software won't work.

One software package which my life depends on, but which (and I don't want
to start a Jihad over this -- I love GNU software) is GNU-Emacs.  I
challenge a novice UNIX user to get Gnu-Emacs up and running on a wierd
machine without a lot of grief.

W. Phillip Moore					   Phone: 06-908-1431
LSI Research Group					     FAX: 06-906-7251
Semiconductor Research Laboratory		  E-mail: moore at mew.mei.co.jp
       Matsushita Electric Works, Ltd.	1048 Kadoma, Osaka 571, Japan