How can you tell who has what files open?

Jon Albers albers at ka3ovk
Fri Apr 5 06:17:19 AEST 1991

We have been working on a problem with some kind of runaway process or processes
involving several Informix 3.3, SQL, and 4GL applications running on our
production mini.  Something in one or more of the above applications starts
opening files, so much so that I get file table overflow errors and any
Informix process that attempts to open a files thereafter hangs and must
be killed by root.  Once the processes are killed, sar reports the number of
open files drops dramatically, and the system functions normally.  My problem
is Iam not sure which process(es) is/are opening the files.

Is there a way to find out the process id of a process that has a file open?
Is there a way to list open files by process id, name, and/or inode?  I
want to be able to find out where the error starts.

								Jon

--
| Jon Albers, IRS, Information Systems Management, Support and Installation.  |
| Office Symbols: ISM:S:S:SI   voice: (202/FTS)535-3729  Packet: KA3OVK at N4QQ  |