Snakebytes (long -- and poisonous?).

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Sat Apr 6 01:39:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr04.172441.22142 at cello.hpl.hp.com>
	renglish at cello.hpl.hp.com (Bob English) writes:

>> In article <31 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>> > HP-UX or any other SysV based OS is too painful to administrate.

>I don't think he's been smoking anything.  If most of the systems he
>works with are BSD-based, a single SysV based machine, or a new group of
>them will be painful to administer.  Many of the scripts that he's
>written won't work correctly, and the user community will complain that
>things don't work as they used to.

If you love writing many scripts for system administration, SysV will
offer generic mechanism to do so (run level and other complicated
mechanism), I admit.

But, my policy is to use the system with the least modification. I don't
write many scripts. I am lazy.

I know what to modify to setup BSD environment. /etc/rc* and some other
files.

Thus, I administrate one type of BSD based system (with extensions such
as NFS and SysV commands, which dose not affect administration) from
several different vendors, though there are small differences.

But administration of SysV based systems (but having BSD features in
different way, which affects administration, especially networking)
is different vendor by vendor.

If you administrate only one type of a machine, and OS version up dose
not occur so often, SysV may not be so bad, though I still miss dmesg
and fastboot.

						Masataka Ohta

PS