Being able to record the original login id of an anonymous FTP user.....

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Apr 4 06:13:34 AEST 1991

In article <SHAHRYAR.91Mar27213441 at sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu>, shahryar at sfsuvax1.SFSU.EDU (Persian Nightmare) writes:
|> I have always wondered how I could record the login id of an anonymous FTP
|> user??  I know PC/Mac's can also FTP from a site, but I am wondering if their
|> is any easy way to do so??

  There are several versions of fptd that will log the remote host and
entered password of anonymous ftp logins if they are run with logging enabled
(with "-l" specified on the command line or with the source compiled with
logging defaulting to 1).  The version installed on your system right now may
even do this.

  One of these is the version of ftpd in the /bsd-sources/libexec directory on
ftp.uu.net, although you might have a bit of trouble compiling it if you don't
have an ANSI C type system.  Another is, quite possibly,
/networking/ftpd.tar.Z on ftp.uu.net.

  In fact, logging into archie on quiche.cs.mcgill.ca and searching for files
named "ftpd.tar.Z" yields over 40 matches.  I'm sure at least some of them
will do the logging you desire.  "ftpd.shar.Z", "ftpd.tar" and "ftpd.shar" all
also match some sites.

  If you really want to be able to find out who's connecting, rather than just
who they say they are, you might be able to use an "auth" server (if the
remote host is running it) to verify the username they enter.  Check out Dan
Bernstein's "auth" and "authutils" packages, probably in comp.sources.unix to
see what I mean.  Although this is probably more than what you're looking for.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace