UNIX filesystems on Sun SPARCstation floppy disks

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Apr 24 02:27:23 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr18.174329 at quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov> karl at quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) writes:
> I know this has been discussed, but I missed it.  What I want to know
> is, can 3-1/2" floppy disks with UNIX filesystems on them be mounted,

I'd like to know this, too. Information on how to format and mkfs them
would be nice as well... I didn't even get that far. We had a MOTIF
installation blow away /usr/lib, so blowing away the C runtime shared
library. The only things that worked were mount and fsck, so I was
goint to mount a floppy on top of /usr/lib so we could at least get
up far enough to fix things! No luck.

I have no problem with this sort of stuff on System V based systems,
but this SunOS/BSD stuff was like going back into the dark ages of
Version 7, back when none of these programs would figure the defaults
for you...
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com