Is MAXUPRC broken in SunOS 4.0.3 ?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Apr 2 11:42:07 AEST 1991

>I don't think the value in sys/param.h makes any difference.  In
>SunOS 4.1.1, at least, the limiting factor on user processes is the
>variable maxuprc, which for some strange reason is set to 5+16*MAXUSERS.

The theory is, I guess, that Suns are either single-user machines, or
servers that shouldn't have lots of people logged in to them.  "maxuprc"
is set to MAXUPRC, which is set to NPROC - 5 (NPROC is 10 +
16*MAXUSERS).

The theory doesn't always correspond to reality....

>MAXUPRC is #defined in /usr/kvm/sys/conf.common/param.c.  Hopefully you
>have something similar in 4.0.3.

It's been that way since before 4.0....