Raw char devices + tar file on 1 tape

Nirad Sharma exnirad at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au
Tue Apr 16 13:59:59 AEST 1991

I wish to contents of 2 raw devices (unmounted portions of the hard disk)
as well as a "tar cf" dump onto 1 tape during night-time backups.  I know
that cpio will do this job for me but I want to use tar for its portability
across systems.  (Recent experiences have led to my doubting cpio's
portability.)

The following steps could be used :
	1.  dd 1st device
	2.  dd 2nd device with seek arg to start into tape
	3.  tar cf - ..... | dd with seek arg

but this would involve the tape continuously rewinding.  I'm interested in
a solution that avoids this.  Is my concern unwarranted ?
--
Nirad Sharma  (exnirad at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au)		Phone : (+61 7) 365 7575
Systems Programmer					Fax :	(+61 7) 870 5080