DELETING (or remaking) SCO User accounts

System Operator sysop at mixcom.COM
Tue Apr 30 03:12:16 AEST 1991

>In article <DJM.91Apr22213730 at egypt.eng.umd.edu> djm at eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) writes:
>>> I need information on how to "remake" or delete a user account on SCO
>>> Unix Sys V.3.2.2.  They say in the admin guide that an account is NEVER
>>> deleted, just retired, PERMANENTLY!

A user can be removed.  To remove user "smith" you would (as
root):

1) edit the /etc/passwd file and remove the entry.
2) cd /tcb/files/auth/s
   rm smith
3) delete the user's directory

When you reboot the computer it may bitch and moan about
inconsistencies in the user database.  If the software
asks if it should correct them, respond yes.  If you
have installed the recent software updates (SLS), the software
will silently correct inconsistencies.

By all means get the (free) updates from SCO.  You can get
them via UUCP. (Contact SCO for details.)

Dean Roth

P.S. I remove users regularly and my system still works.