Cleaning 8mm tape drives

Rob Logie logier at cheops.qld.tne.oz.au
Sat Apr 20 18:39:31 AEST 1991

karl at quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) writes:

>We've used the cleaning tapes provided by Exabyte to clean our
>8mm drives about once a month.  Does anyone know if Exabyte
>cleaning tapes must be used, or is there another source for
>cleaning tapes?  TIA.
>--
>Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl at forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
>NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815
>Greenbelt, MD 20771		| #include "std_disclaimer"
I have been usings a EXAbyte on a sun workstation for two years now,
Everynight a backup is done which uses most of a tape.

The tapes are then read back to check readability.

The tape drive has been cleaned once in two years, (When I bought it cleaning
tapes were not invented).  I also use normal old Sony 8mm tapes
(None of this "Special" data cartridge that costs three times as much crap)

I have never had a problem with the drives of tapes (The tapes are reused
after a four week cycle) .
This exabyte is one of the most relabile tape drives I have on the network,
I agree that exabytes need to be cleaned, but I don't think it needs
to be done very often .

Rob Logie                                    EMAIL: logier at cheops.qld.tne.oz.au
Telecom Australia                            FAX:   +61 7 837 4704
TNE Computer Support Services                PH:    +61 7 837 5174
Brisbane Office                              "These are my opinions alone"